Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Stitches by David Small


2010 Alex Award Winner!


Well, this adult graphic novel memoir is going to go far. It's something that sticks with you. David Small is known for winning the Caldecott for So, You Want to be President? but this adult memoir proves that he has quite the story to tell. Talk about your dysfunctional family! His mother is abusive because her mother was. His father is distant and thinks that constant x-raying of his small son will cure his son of sinus problems. Um, no.

The black-and-white illustrations are stark and telling, with only a few of the kind that make me want to turn the pages quickly. I'm a word-person so I'm not too into the graphic novels that tell too much of a story in pictures. I don't like sappy.

However. David Small turns out okay. I love the cover with grandma saying durnit, and still ended up with a good feeling after finishing this sad story. A delayed airflight even meant that my boyfriend read it. And that's almost a miracle! :)

It's good. Read it. Everyone will be talking about it after it's published in September.

No comments: