Monday, January 11, 2010

Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks:An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms by Ethan Gilsford


I can't help but think of a few friends as I read this adult book. I mean, really, what makes someone talk like a medieval knight on a Saturday night, roll dice, and play make-believe? What makes someone play Lord of the Rings Online for weeks on end? Gilsdorf tries to answer these questions. He grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons and does a great job explaining how his mom's aneurysm drove him into escaping reality. Now as a thirty-something-year-old, he involves himself in role-playing games and other fantasy/gaming gigs and writes a book. I may have saved the princess from the castle back in the day and spent hours playing Below the Root in junior high, but I'm not a gamer. My attention wandered a bit, but it seems like the target audience may be gamers or their spouses anyway!

No comments: