Sunday, January 3, 2010

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: a Memoir by Elna Baker


I love when books make me giggle. And I giggled my way through this memoir about a Mormon girl living in New York City and trying to find a husband. Technically this is an adult book, but I think high school girls will totally relate to Elna, even if they aren't Mormon. Or a 26-year-old virgin. Elna tackles dating, major weight loss, parent struggles, acting jobs, and all other issues teens usually face so it's almost like she is still a teenager in her early 20's. She's trying to find her way. Her faith is important to her, except for when she's doubting. She thinks she wants a Mormon boyfriend, although she seems to only date non-Mormons. She just doesn't have a good handle on things. But, oh, is she funny! And my heart broke with her several times, too.

No comments: