Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly, Read by Peter Giles


I love a good serial killer/thriller/techie book every now and then, and this adult audiobook helped me drive to Florida over break! Even my daughter was listening to it, and I was a little worried that I was corrupting her with the swear words and violence. I guess it's not any worse than Star Wars and Harry Potter, right?

Jack McEvoy just got pink slipped from the LA Times as a crime reporter and he hopes to go out with a bang. He innocently starts researching a inner city kid accused of murder and finds out the kid is innocent. But then Jack and his replacement at the Times find another eerily similar murder in Vegas and things start to happen. People are murdered and Jack is reunited with his old FBI girlfriend. The two work together to solve the case and I found it pretty fascinating. As the reader, you know who did it. But you don't know how the killer is going to get caught. He hasn't been caught for years and things he's perfect. But something has to slip him up. And it does. The case wraps up pretty neatly for Jack, like in most suspense crime books. That's why they are such satisfying reads!

No comments: