Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ash by Malinda Lo


Bonus points for an awesome cover on this finalist for the Morris Award! Makes you want to read it, doesn't it? I'm a fan of retold fairy tales, so I was looking forward to another version of the Cinderella story.

Ash's parents die and she has to live with her stepmother and two stepsisters. Of course, she eventually is forced to work for her room and board. A male fairy creature helps fulfill her wishes instead of a fairy godmother. And there is a quiet romance between Ash and the King's huntress, Kaisa, who takes a special interest in the displaced lady.

Overall, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this title, so that usually means it will grow on me. I liked the plot and love the twists from the usual Cinderella tale. But the pace was slow for me.

No comments: