Sunday, February 28, 2010

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

I'm continuing my streak of reading award winners and trying to catch up from reading adult books for the Alex Committee for the past three years. This young reader's title won the 2010 Newbery Award so I knew I needed to read it. And, once again, I'm disappointed with an award-winning title. But, hey, what's new about that? :)

Miranda is a young latchkey girl who lives with her single mom. She receives mysterious notes that tell her what's going to happen in the future, and the notes are correct. Strange, eh? Her mom does get on the $25,000 pyramid show. Shoes are missing and her apartment key goes missing. Miranda's readings L'Engle's time travel books don't help either. Is that what's going on? How else to explain the notes? Or the crazy guy living under the mailbox? Or the saving of her friend's life?

The clues and mystery just didn't cut it for me. Maybe I'm used to reading titles for high school kids and adults? I was bored and didn't connect with Miranda at all. In fact, I wanted more of Mr. Perfect, her mom's boyfriend. He was interesting. As was Colin, the boy who stole bread just to see their employer feel justified in counting the loaves everyday. I know I don't have to love the medal winners (especially from serving on an award committee), but I would like to know what made this book special.

No comments: