Friday, March 26, 2010

Jumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles

Sometimes I forget things. For example, I interlibrary loaned this young adult title, and I have absolutely no idea why. Did I hear someone talk about it at conference? Did I read a review somewhere that made me want to read it? I absolutely have no freakin' idea. And that bugs me.

This is another teenage pregnancy book, but what makes it different (to me) is that Ellie gives the baby up for adoption. The author also tackles how the baby affects his father, Josh, who has no contact with the mother at all. Ellie and Josh were only together one night--she wanted a relationship (maybe) and he had heard that she was a willing girl. But Josh does a heart, even though his family is dysfunctional. And Ellie's mother does care, even though she acts like she doesn't. The damaged lives of these two characters is balanced by the positive characters of Corinne and Caleb. Corinne is Ellie's best friend and provides the support she needs. Caleb is Josh's friend and Caleb's mother ends up being the positive adult support Ellie needs during her pregnancy.

Will I buy this book for PCHS? Yes. I have girls who read everything I have on teenage pregnancy. This topic hits home for PCHS, and I think I need to purchase more books about adoption to let students know that they can provide a better home for their children. And survive.

No comments: