Friday, March 12, 2010

Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn

I had to pick up this Advanced Reader's Copy at ALA Midwinter in January because of the great cover. Doesn't it look intriguing? I showed the book trailer at a presentation a few weeks ago, too. (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OxDa1fl2t0)

Very (short for Veronica) is very everything. She's constantly multitasking--creating social networks for her friends at Columbia University, listening to/creating music, texting, and partying hard. She was smart in high school and didn't have to try, but her freshmen year in college isn't going very well. She's struggling with grades and just struggling to stay sane. She's in love with a virtual boy named El Virus and makes crappy decisions about the boys in her life. Even her best friend/college roommate isn't liking Very very much. And then Very flips out. Her friends send her to ESCAPE, Emergency Services for Computer-Addicted Persons Everywhere. Very needs it and the therapy the place provides.

To me, things were wrapped up a bit too neatly with the therapy at the end of the book, and I didn't like how her new relationship was the answer to all her problems. I never look to books for advice, but, geez, really? A girlfriend is going to fix Very's messed up life? Umm, no. I don't think so. But I'll pass this ARC along to some girls and see what they think....

No comments: