Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We are the Ship: the Story of Negro League Baseball by Kadir Nelson, Performed by Dion Graham


A nonfiction audiobook has to be good for me to listen to it! This young adult title won the Odyssey Honor Award this year, so I figured I'd give it a go. The book also had starred reviews all over the place and I knew it was short with great illustrations by the author. The audiobook was only two CDs with 1 bonus CD of illustrations.

I must say I was entertained. Graham's voice was deep and mesmerizing, and even when spouting off baseball facts, I was listening. The book is divided into innings instead of chapters, and I loved hearing about the first commissioner of the Negro League and how integration came about. Everything is always about money, right? There were amazing tales of ballplayers who could do wow audiences and details about the rough play in the Negro League. All in all, it's a great read and could easily be integrated into an American History class. It's not just about baseball. It's about integration, the Great Depression, World War II, and the economy. Read it! It won't take you long, and you'll be glad you did.

No comments: