Monday, April 5, 2010

The Passage by Justin Cronin

To be published June 8, 2010.

Random House couldn't stop talking about this new adult book back in January, so I decided to give it a try on Spring Break. Who wouldn't like an author who is compared to Stephen King or Michael Crichton? After finally finishing the 704 page rock, I do see the similarities. It's science fiction, a post-apocalyptic warning, adventure, romance and mystery. But, heck, in 704 pages, the author should be able to throw everything into the pot, right?

The best part of the book is Part I (until page 190). I was hooked and speed reading. The suspense is awesome. Buttttt, then the middle of the book comes along. Seems to me some tighter editing would have helped, and maybe the final copy will be missing a few pages. I mean, really, Biblical characters wandered around the desert for 90 days, but we didn't read about it for ninety pages. I think 200 pages could have been cut out and I wouldn't have missed them. I'm going to try to get some student readers, but I'm not sure I can attract them with the length. I'll pass it onto some Hunger Games readers and see what reaction I get....

No comments: