Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peace, Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson, Ready by Dion Graham

I can easily see why the production of this novel for children won the Odyssey Honor Award this year. Wow, I'm impressed! First of all, I've never read much Woodson, even though I know she's a Newbery-National Book-Honor and just about everything else winner. She's a great writer who usually tackles inner city life. I never read Locomotion, but was perfectly able to understand this novel, supposedly for kids in grades 4-7.

Lonnie Collins (aka Locomotion) is a poet and his narrative is sweet. These are his letters to his sister who is in a different foster home. The two of them are lucky to be in good homes, and his letters tell simple things about his life, but are heart wrenching. He falls in love with his nice substitute teacher. He's worried about his foster brother (who he's never met) coming home from the war. But the plot isn't what drives this sweet novel. It's the voice of Lonnie. Can I give him a hug now? :)


No comments: