Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Secrets of Eden by Chris Bohjalian

I was a fan of Bohjalian's The Double Bind so I was expecting great things from this adult audiobook. Told from multiple viewpoints, we learn the story of a married couple's death. Rev. Drew is the married woman's pastor, who did more than just counsel her. Heather Laurent, a famous author who writes stories about her own parents' murder-suicide, might be a conspirator since she becomes romantically involved with Rev. Drew. The deputy state's attorney is concerned that the crime isn't a simple murder-suicide. And the married couple's teenage daughter reveals even more secrets.

The book was entertaining, but the last viewpoint, the daughter's, grew old. I had already guessed what had happened, so the plot didn't surprise me and the teenage voice was tiring by the last CD. I want more complication, Bohjalian, and less explanation of teenage angst! :)

No comments: