Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I was a big fan of Ryan's first book, The Forest of Hands of Teeth, so I've been on hold for this companion novel since the beginning of May.

Gabry's mother is Mary from the first book, but it takes awhile for us to figure out what has happened in the time past since the first book. Gabry isn't strong like her mother and has no desire to venture into the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Or to cross the ocean that is also full of the Mudo, or the Unconsecrated. Or you can call them zombies. But one night a cute boy tempts Gabry to cross the fence with friends and a Mudo causes all sorts of trouble. Gabry is forced to leave her comfortable village and rely on clues from her mother to get to somewhere in the forest. With the help of Catcher, her first kiss, and Elias, a stranger who saves her life multiple times, the young people bravely head into the unknown.

Overall, I liked the first book better, but I think that's because I liked Mary better than Gabry. Gabry is a bit whiny and her self-doubt gets old for the reader. But, heck, yeah, I'll be waiting for her next book. I want to know what happened to Gabry, Elias, Mary and Catcher!

No comments: