Sunday, July 11, 2010

Going Bovine by Libba Bray, read by Erik Davies



I was listening to this unabridged audiobook on my drive to the airport for ALA Annual. I knew I was going to hear Libba Bray's acceptance speech for this book, and it was quite the treat! Do I think this is the best book ever? No way. But I think the Printz committee did a great job picking a winner. This book is different and showing where YA literature is going in the future. It's complex, yet simple. I laughed and got a little teary at the end. I wanted to befriend Cameron. And adopt him. Or date an older version of him. And that's what you call good characterization, my friends!

Cameron gets the shock of his life when he finds out he has mad cow disease. His brain does some funny things and he doesn't have much time to live. So he goes on the road trip of his life to find a possible cure. He finds love, a talking garden gnome, a dwarf who becomes his best friend, and love. They travel to New Orleans during Mardi Gras (whoo-woo!) and even make to Disney World.

Bray made quite the departure from her Great and Terrible Beauty novels, but, wow, she made something unique. And, after hearing her speak, I know. Where the strangeness comes from. And the awesomeness. :)

No comments: