Sunday, August 8, 2010

Horns by Joe Hill

I was sickened and scared (in a good way) by Hill's (Stephen King's son) first novel, The Heart-Shaped Box, so I was anxious to read this one. The Protestant in me is always a little freaked to read about Satan and evil, so I read this poolside in Playa del Carmen--NOT at night!

Ig has been going through a personal hell ever since he was a "person of interest" in the rape and murder of his girlfriend Merrin. Everyone, even his parents and lawyer, believed he killed her. And now he awakens with horns. On his head. Devil's horns. Now everyone he touches tells him his or her horrible secrets and desires. His anger grows out of control when he discovers Merrin's murderer. Through flashbacks, we learn how Merrin, Ig and their friend Lee are intertwined. The religious confusion of God and Satan didn't thrill me, but it made a good story.

No comments: