Friday, September 3, 2010

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben, Read by Scott Brick

Wow....my reading has really slowed down because of school starting and volleyball season! But I'm listening to a fair share of audiobooks since I'm driving a lot!

I liked listening to Coben's Fade Away, but I wasn't a fan of this book which is on the 2010 Abe Lincoln Illinois High School Book Award list. Hopefully it's because I was listening to the abridged version, but I'm afraid the plot might have something to do with it. I really can't believe the kids on the Abe selection committee chose this title to their list.

Adam is 16 and depressed. His best friend has committed suicide, and both kids were involved in things they shouldn't have been. So Adam's parents start to monitor Adam's online and cell phone behavior. When he runs away, his parents track him down and find out that he's hanging around Club Jaguar in the Bronx. The club is bad news, and Adam's father is on a hunt to find his son.

There is a second plot line going on with a crazy man who is killing women, but the this plot just didn't mesh with the other one, even when the characters ran together in the end. Maybe because of the abridgment? Or maybe because the reader didn't do a good job separating the characters and plot lines with vocal adjustments? For whatever reason, it didn't work.

No comments: