Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Finally! This novel took forrrrever to read because it's 563 pages. It's slow-going, too. I knew there was some fuss over this in the YA literary world so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Last week I got the sequel, Beautiful Darkness, in my library, even though the first book isn't too popular yet. But I can push it now that I've read it. Here's the video trailer for the YA novel....

Lena is a caster with powers, but she won't know if she's Light or Dark until her sixteenth birthday. She's terrified that she'll be Dark and use her powers for evil, and this causes stress on her relationship with Ethan, a local Southern boy who falls in love with her. The two of them have special powers with their love, and Ethan is convinced that she'll be light.

The plus: Think Twilight. If you liked it, you'll like this.

The minus: I didn't like Twilight, so I had to suffer through the cheesiness. However, at least there were some snarky moments that made me smile. Lena is a smart-aleck, which helps.

I won't read the sequel, but I know plenty of teenage girls at PCHS who would absolutely love this book, so I'll recommend it to them next week!

No comments: