Saturday, December 25, 2010

Jack: Secret Histories by F. Paul Wilson


As I was reading the first page of this one, I thought, "Wait...didn't I just read something with a character named Weezy?" I did just read a short story by the author and he returned to the setting for this book. Unfortunately, what I really liked about the short story--the mysterious Pineys--weren't really in the full-length book. Jack, the main character, was, but I really liked the idea of the vigilante justice of the backwoods inbreeds. :)

The mysterious Lodge in the New Jersey town is intertwined with murders of its members and Jack and his best friends Weezy and Eddie discover a rotten corpse. Lodge members start dying of heart attacks and Jack is determined to solve the mystery, even if everyone compares him to a Hardy boy. I was surprised by the setting of 1983 and the abundance of cultural mentions--playing ET on the Atari, wearing Converse, listening to The Police. Would kids now get it or just be lost? I found myself looking for the Pineys, so I was disappointed in Jack solving the mystery.

No comments: