Friday, December 31, 2010

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


I've been anxious to read this since there has been fussing on yalsa-bk, but I almost quit without finishing. I re-read A Northern Light a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd enjoy another historical mystery. But the main character, Andi, is just plain annoying. I don't like her. She's swimming in the pain of the death of her younger brother, but she's such a self-destroyer that I don't care to read about her. I kept waiting for the French Revolution stuff to come into the story and it almost came too late. The musician tale of Malherbeau and the tale of Alex is great, but I hate the idea that a man, Virgil, has to be Andi's savior and save her from suicide. Next novel, I hope Donnelly leaves the modern stuff out of her story, and just sticks to historical fiction.

No comments: