Sunday, January 2, 2011

Faithful by Janet Fox

This ARC is from Midwinter 2010 and I'm just getting around to reading it--I loved the cover and just couldn't donate it to my readers at school without me reading it first! I'm amazed to see a publisher like Speak taking on historical fiction--I would have loved a book like this when I was in junior high. Maggie is a spoiled sixteen-year-old in Newport when the book opens. She's preparing for her debut to society when her mother cuts herself at a party. Mommy disappears (and probably dies in the ocean), but Maggie is convinced that her mother is alive and out west. Maggie and her father trek west to Yellowstone, where Maggie discovers that her mother has a history with the area. It's scary and beautiful, and Maggie must decide whether to be a good daughter and marry the rich, old, snobby man or follow her heart and go against what's expected of her. It's a typical YA romance story, but the extra details of Yellowstone make it an interesting read. Now I want to re-visit the West!

No comments: