Monday, January 24, 2011

The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston

Of course, one of the books I hadn't read won the Morris Award! And I can see why--it's different, gripping, short and sweet, and one heck of a book. Woolston is going to be an author to watch!

Warning--don't be scared by the cover or the jacket blurbs. I wasn't looking forward to the read (I was expecting Sinclair's The Jungle or some science-filled boring thing), but I was pleasantly surprised. Loa is just a teenager trying to cope with loss. Her little sister dies of a devastating disease. Her boyfriend leaves her to travel in Europe. Her good friend is hit by a car. Her father becomes some stranger who hits her. But her parents' insurance only pays for six weeks of therapy, so Loa must find her own way of treating her post traumatic stress disorder. With the help of what her therapist says, cleaning the bathroom grout, working through physics problems, and moving, Loa survives. And, maybe, even thrives.

No comments: