Saturday, January 8, 2011

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey


Book Two of the Morris contenders for me, and, oh, I didn't like this one as much as Hush. (I'll add hyperlinks and book cover later--it's 12:30 am here!) but I had to stay up and finish this interlibrary loaned book. I got about 35 books tonight in the exhibit hall and can't wait to get started on them! I'm not sure how my to-read list got so long on goodreads, but conferences make it expand greatly.

Taking place in New Zealand, Maori legends and culture is everywhere in this book, but I was drowning in it the last third of the book. I wanted more action and less mist traveling. I wanted more of snarky, black belt goddess Ellie. I couldn't help but compare this to Hush. Both have lots of details to another culture, but I think Hush tells it better to the reader. The fantasy element of Dead might draw in some readers, but they may not get that far into the book.

Hmmm....I might be hating on this because it's past my bedtime and I walked about 20 miles today schlepping 50 pounds of books. So, I'll think about this post again and let you know if it changes. :)

No comments: