Monday, March 7, 2011

The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

I'm finally getting around to reading the 2011 Alex Award Winners! I think I picked the wrong book to start with--the committee would have had to talk me into this one. The action just moves sooooo slowly. I knew we'd eventually find out who was causing all the little German girls to disappear, but it took me a week to finish the book to find out who was murdering them. And, if you know me, you know that it should not take me a week to read a little book. I just couldn't get sucked in. The first third was great and I zipped through the last third of the book tonight, but the middle took too long. The main character, Pia, reminded me of To Kill A Mockingbird's Scout because she's forced to recognize evil in her small town and has to learn that things aren't always what they seem. She's a regular Nancy Drew, too.

No comments: