Friday, April 15, 2011

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

I'm not sure why I tell people I dislike nonfiction. I put off reading it all the time. I act like it's a chore. But then I listen to an audiobook like this and my opinion completely flips. I LOVE audiobooks like this one--exciting, dangerous, and just good storytelling. It's nonfiction that reads like fiction, and how awesome is that?

Krakauer investigated the life of Chris McCandless (or Alexander Supertramp) as we went into the wild. Chris was a vagabond, always looking for adventure, and gave away all his money to wander through the wilderness. He tramped through the southwest up to South Dakota. His story is gut-wrenching because I felt so sorry for his friends and family who never knew where he was. He was a smart kid, but kinda messed up. I mean, really, eating just edible plants in Alaska? Determined to live alone? Even Native Americans years ago had the support of family in the wilderness, right? So when Alex dies in an abandoned bus 30 miles from a highway, his story made national headlines. The book became a movie in 2007. Krakauer compares his own story to McCandless, and it's just a good story, even if the ending is sad.

No comments: