Thursday, April 21, 2011

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I know, I know, I should have read this 2007 Alex Award winner years ago. I had every intention to--even bought the book way back when for my library. But someone stole that copy and I didn't replace it until this school year. I had to buy a book at the airport this week, and I knew another copy of this made-into-movie book would be popular. And I should read it, right?

I can see why it's popular. It's a great love story told from the point-of-view of an old man. Love stories from the guy's POV always work for me! Jacob is 90 (or 93) and trying to get to the circus from his nursing home. But his mind is wandering back to his own circus years, when he met his wife, found a job, and developed his love for animals. His tale is very entertaining, set against the Great Depression backdrop, and has some strange circus tales thrown in. Who doesn't love some strange tales of odd people?

So, what am I doing in the next week or two? Seeing this movie!

No comments: