Friday, May 13, 2011

Bleed by Laurie Faria Stolarz


Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think the author tried too much. I love "one day in the life" books, but there are just too many characters in this book. Each chapter is written from the point of view of a character, but they aren't as intertwined as I wanted. And, I'm all for edgy YA, but I cringed at parts, mainly because the crudeness didn't seem to be a part of story--it's like it was added in. I felt like I should show my friends the dirty parts. For that reason, I think this will be popular, but I think the multiple narrators will mess with some readers. Like me, they'll keep reading the names at the beginning of the chapters and look for repeats. And they'll be disappointed.

And it's just gross that a young girl would write to a prisoner for six years without her parents finding out. I mean, really, don't they ever check the mail? Or search their daughter's room?

No comments: