Monday, June 6, 2011

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

This author's Jellicoe Road won the Printz and I was a little confused by it. So I wasn't excited about starting her fantasy read. But I was impressed and am anxious to see if it will be popular in my high school library. Really, I think it's an adult fantasy because of the complexity of the writing, but my circ stats will show if I'm right.

Marchetta's world-building skills are awesome--her creation of lands, rulers and traditions is top-notch. The reader really loves Finnikin and his love interest Evanjalin, and the character interest is what kept me reading instead of the plot. Their love affair is pretty darn romantic and frustrating! All in all, a good fantasy book to give to fantasy fans....I don't think they will be disappointed.

No comments: