Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lessons from a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles

I hate when I read a book and then realized halfway through that I've read it! But for some reason I didn't review it--maybe I was on vacation?
Anyway, Laine is a sad, lonely little girl when Leah, the most popular girl in school, befriends her. Leah loves the attention, even if she has to suffer through the "special" attention she gets from Leah in the upstairs closet. The two grow apart when they get older--Leah gets wild and crazy while Laine becomes reserved. She doesn't think she's gay, yet Leah keeps reminding her of what they did. Leah won't drop it, and Laine eventually confronts her about it--why did it happen?

The words "gay" or "lesbian" or "bisexual" are never mentioned in the book, although the reader knows what's going on. It's an interesting take on why the abused often become the abuser.

No comments: