Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Returning by Christine Hinwood

Sometimes I read a book and think, hmmm, I wonder if this will show up on the Printz list. And I think this Junior Library Guild selection might. As I was reading it, I got a little confused. It's a medieval-ish world, but there aren't any magical elements. It seems British, but I may be way off with that one.

Cam comes home from the arm missing an arm, but he also just doesn't fit back into his old life. He can't stop thinking about the Uplander lord who sliced off his arm and then saved his life. The two men from different worlds are drawn together, and their lives intertwine for years.

Graceful is a successful farmer's daughter who was betrothed to Cam, but the engagement ended after he lost an arm. After all, what good is a man missing a limb? But her father has bigger plans for her, even if it means marrying the enemy to unite two families. So her destiny is still meant to be with Cam, but in a different way.

The plot is hard to explain, but the storytelling is brilliant. I don't think this book will be popular at PCHS (we'll see the circ stats are this fall) but I think the quiet action will attract of few of my female readers.

No comments: