Monday, July 11, 2011

Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

Book One of the series has been on my shelf for months and I finally finished it after members of my PPYA committee convinced me of its worth. And they are right. It’s not cheesy like the title.


Connor and Grace, twin children of a lighthouse keeper, have always heard their father sing a shanty about the dreaded pirates/vampires, but they never imagined they would meet them in person. After their father’s death, the children escape to the sea and almost drown in a terrible storm. Connor is rescued by pirates and Grace is lucky enough to be picked up by the Vampirates. The two must use their skills (Connor is strong/quick and Grace is smart) to find each other and survive the pirate seas.


It’s a quick, entertaining read and I can see why the series is popular with middle schoolers and junior high kids. It’s quite the adventure!

No comments: