Wednesday, August 31, 2011

13 Million Dollar Pop: a Frank Behr novel by David Levien

I enjoyed Levien's first Frank Behr novel, City of the Sun, a few years ago, so I graciously accepted a copy of his novel from Doubleday. I had a problem with the debut novel being *another* kidnapping novel, but I got the original plot line in this one! The setting is still Indianapolis (yay!), but the conspiracy is racinos and those who run them. Politics and economics control everything, even in Indiana!  When Behr gets shot at while protecting an Indy businessman, he can't rest until he figures out who did the shooting. Of course, because Behr is all mysterious and bulldoggish, it costs him his job (which he didn't really like anyway) and his pregnant girlfriend (which he did like, but couldn't figure out how to show it). A new emotionally wounded Gulf War veteran joins Behr in this novel, and I hope he finds his way back into Behr's life.  Can't the two of them start an agency? Hmm? Can't they? Because Decker and Behr have that strong-man relationship thing going on! And I like it!

No comments: