Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Daughter of Siena by Marina Fiorato

I had to read everything I could get my hands on by this author. I loved The Botticelli Secret and The Glassblower of Murano, so I had to read this one as soon as it came in on interlibrary loan.

Pia is a teenage girl in Siena in 1723 and always does what her daddy wants. She is arranged to be married to a horrible man, and is thrilled when he is killed in the famous horserace of Siena. But then she has to marry his nasty younger brother the next day instead. Pia's life stinks until she sees/meets the hunky horseman's son, Bruni. Bruni is gorgeous, strong, and a horse whisperer. Of course, they have to have an affair, although back in those days, they didn't do much more than gaze adoringly at each from afar. Pia's husband abuses her, and she soon is embroiled in an Italian controversy. The contrada leaders want to overthrow the Medici government, but Pia is willing to help the Duchess. Women will do anything for love, won't they?

As always, Fiorato delivers an awesome historical romantic mystery--just what I love to read between my YA reads!

No comments: