Thursday, September 1, 2011

Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay

Well, evidently I'm in the minority again, according to star ratings on goodreads.com.  Most readers liked this book.  I forced myself to finish it because it was nominated for PPYA. I have nothing against strange families, but I just didn't get into the action of the book at all. The characters were cool, but, meh. Maybe because this book is written more for younger readers? I'm hoping that's it.  I just didn't see an audience for it all with my high school students.

Indigo is a 12-year-old boy who is bullied at school because he's weird. His family is strange and he is strange--no big deal, right? When an American boy moves in, Indigo defends the new kid and the two become fast friends. Indigo's eight-year-old sister was my favorite character in the book--her innocence made the best parts of the book for me.

No comments: