Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I'm a sucker for a book that is designed oddly (see The Invention of Hugo Cabret or Bad Monkeys) and this is no different. Without the photographs, this book wouldn't have been the greatest.  But with them, it's pretty awesome, although the main character should have been a little younger, I think.

Jacob has grown up with his grandparent's stories of monsters and peculiar children, but never believed them until he sees a monster in the woods at the scene of his grandfather's murder. It becomes clear that Jacob must return to the children's home in Wales to try to solve the mystery of his grandpa's childhood and mysterious adulthood.

And he does.

One book design flaw that bothered me--the words are placed too closely to the spine of the book. I'm sure there's a proper name for that, but I didn't like how I had to keep cracking the spine to get the book to open far enough for me to read the words on the page!

1 comment:

Couchnest said...

I had to buy this book as well. The concept behind it is interesting. Did you know that it is going to be a series? I also heard they are making it into a movie. I like odd books that draw the reader in with their uniqueness.