Friday, September 23, 2011

Star Crossed by Elizabeth C. Bunce

Usually I'm a sucker for books about girls who are fighters, but I struggled to finish this one. Yes, it might be because Dust & Decay is next on my to-read list, but, still, the last third of book took me days!

Celyn has lived quite the life--she can see magic, but not create it. She was raised in a convent, sentenced to die by her brother, and trained to be a thief on the streets of Gerse. In a robbery gone bad, she escapes in a rowboat with strangers and soon becomes a lady maid to one woman--why not? She's soon in the middle of royal intrigue and has to use her thievery skills to save the day.

The charcter Celyn is great and there is lots of action, but the book just didn't stick to my gut like I love them to. I've got some fantasy readers in my book club, so I hope to hear what they think soon.

2 comments:

Couchnest said...

Have you read Graceling by Kristin Cashore yet? I highly recommend it.

Sarah Hill said...

Yes! See http://tigersread.blogspot.com/2009/01/graceling-by-kristin-cashore.html :)