Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

While I loved the premise of this YA novel (the Grimm fairy tales were real!), the actual book fell short for me. I didn't feel like I wanted to know the characters, and the action seemed contrived. Elizabeth begins work at a special New York library where patrons borrow things. Things like one of the twelve dancing slippers or a magic carpet. Of course, the cool kids at school work there, too, including the star basketball player. Soon Elizabeth is involved in a mystery--someone is stealing magical objects (without following the proper procedures!) and she isn't sure whom to trust.

Once again, I'm wondering if this book is victim of inflated ratings because the setting is a library. Some librarians can't take their occupation out of their review, I think.

No comments: