Monday, November 14, 2011

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

I'm going to shock some people with this review.  This book has received a lot of buzz lately--for good reason.  But I didn't love it. I loved the concept and the originality (so hard to find in YA fantasy!), but it took me too long to finish it. Normally I read a book in two or three days--or all night if I love it. But I found myself watching the rest of the TV miniseries North & South, and various other Netflix shows instead of finishing this novel. And that's a problem, right?

Karou lives in Prague (love the setting) and is surrounded with art, chimera, teeth with power, sorcerers, doorways to other worlds, and, eventually, a lovely man/angel that she falls in love with. I know this is simplifed, but Taylor creates an amazing world--read it and see!  I loved the story of Karou and Akiva, but wasn't too thrilled with the storytelling of previous lives. I might like the sequel better since there might not be as many flashbacks. Don't worry--I'll still read the sequel, and hopefully like it more!

No comments: