Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Demon King: A Seven Realms Novel by Cinda Williams Chima

I know The Warrior Heir by this author was popular in my library a few years ago, but I only gave it 3 stars on Goodreads.  So I was pleasantly surprised when this book served as a good fantasy romp for me.  I'm always a fan of medieval-ish British-like fantasy worlds and this book seemed like a Dickensian Aladdin Robin Hood to me.

Told in alternating chapters, the book focuses on Han Alister, a street rat who has survived as a street gang leader for most of his short life.  He's rough, but loves his mam and sister and tries to escape that life to become a trader.  He's spent his summers with the clan people in the woods who have taught him much about healing and living a good life.

Raisa is a princess who has grown up sheltered. She's close to her marrying age, but she knows there is more to her life than acting fancy and smiling a lot.  She wants to get out into the city (think Princess Jasmine of Aladdin) and needs the help of a few good men. Fortunately, she's pretty, smart, rich, and a princess, so she has plenty willing to help. The only problem is that she isn't sure who to trust.  Even her mother the queen may not be trustworthy.

The two separate stories are thrilling and DO NOT merge by the end of the book! Ugh! But it makes me itching to read the sequel, which, I guess, is the whole point.  Raisa and Han are fated to meet eventually!

No comments: