Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Young Samurai: The Way of the Warrior by Chris Bradford

When I was in junior high, I went through a phase where I read any fiction book I could find that was set in China or Japan--especially Laurence Yep books. So I'm always willing to pick up another young adult or juvenile title like this one.

Jack Fletcher is a sailor like his father, and they are attempting to be the first English sailors to reach the Japans. They make it, but Jack is the only one who survives. He's adopted into a samurai's family and is taught the ancient art of being in that historic caste. He is foiled by the samurai's other son, of course, and there is a beautiful young female samurai warrior who catches his eye. Jack grows up quickly and I couldn't help but think of Karate Kid as I was reading! It's all there--bonzai, philosophy, focusing on simple moves, and the complicated kick that takes out the bad guy in the end. :)

Recommended for those who like action, historical fiction or books that take place in other lands.

No comments: