Monday, January 2, 2012

The Queen of Kentucky by Alecia Whitaker

I picked up this Advance Reading Copy at ALA Annual last summer and am just now getting around to reading it! I always pick up "rural reads," mainly to see if the author/publisher/editor got it right. I've lived in rural areas all my life, so it's a pleasure to see some YA novel that isn't set in a large city!

Ricki Jo is trying to re-make herself as she enters high school. She wants to be called Ericka, tries out for cheerleading, doesn't go out for band, and falls in love with the cutest boy in her school. She went to grade school at the local Catholic school and is determined to be popular. This story has been told many, many times before...I kept thinking of Miley Cyrus. However, I think all schools and libraries in rural areas should stock this cute novel. It's a perfect fluffy read for tweens.

No comments: