Friday, February 24, 2012

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, Read by Carrington MacDuffie

I can't remember who recommended this adult book to me, but I'm not sure if I like you for it or not! I usually love reading anything about flappers and F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I dove into this tale of Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley.  Unfortunately, I didn't know much about Papa Hemingway's private life until I listened to this novel, and now I've lost almost all respect for the man. He's an idiot.  Good old Ernest wanted to live the good life and be a married man and have a mistress.  At the same time.  And he ruined his wife's self-esteem (what little she had to begin with) by making her feel like doo-doo for not wanting to live with her husband's mistress.  Really, Ernest? You think you're such a great man that you deserve two women in your life?  Ugh....makes me sick.  Thank God, Hadley finally leaves him.  And Ernest moves on to have 4 wives before killing himself.  Serves him right....he was a sick bastard.

No comments: