Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pink Smog:Becoming Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block

Fans of Weetzie Bat will appreciate this prequel, but I wasn't a huge fan of Block's series (I know, shame on this librarian!) The writing still has its lyrical moments, and there is plenty of magical realism to confuse me.

Louise is 13 and bullied at school. The mean girls tease her, her mom is a drunk, and her father has left them for some unknown reason recently.  With the help of some new friends, Weetzie (as her dad calls her) gains some confidence and is able to get strong enough to survive her life.

I didn't appreciate the subplot with the notes (you'll understand if you read it)--I felt like it wrapped up too nicely at the end.

But girls, if you've ever wanted to see why Weetzie became what she did, this is the book for you!

No comments: