Wednesday, February 1, 2012

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

I was on the Alex Award committee that gave this author's Mudbound an award because it was amazing historical fiction. I remember comparing it to To Kill a Mockingbird. So Jordan's second novel is quite a switch!

Hannah Payne was raised a traditionalist--obey the men in your life, follow God and His Church, and don't stir up trouble.  But now she is a Chrome--dyed red by her government because she had an abortion.  Not only did she sin (and murder), she refused to name the father of her baby or the abortionist.

Jordan plays homage to Hawthorne with a quote at the beginning and The Scarlett Letter theme continues throughout the book.  This adult novel could easily be used as a companion novel to the classic, but it also raises some interesting questions about government intervention, morality, herd mentality, and public discrimination of criminals.

I did have an issue with Hannah's sexual awakening in the second half of the book. I don't want to give away any details, but I just think her actions didn't quite fit with the way she was raised.  Yes, I know it was her "awakening" (Thanks, Kate Chopin!), but it still seemed a bit forced in the narration.

All in all, I liked Mudbound much better. But I'll still read her next book! Bring it on, Hillary Jordan!

No comments: