Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Read by Jim Dale

I'd heard great things about this Alex Award winner and knew it was a huge bestseller for adult fiction. However, I was disappointed. Here's why.  The actual plot of the book in interesting---two old men sorcerers with nothing better to do use a person as a pawn in their own sad game. Winner lives, loser dies. The two children, Celia and Marco, are raised to be the best--surrounded by magic and fantasy, but not much love. That story I loved--and the characters in the circus like the young twins and the contortionists.  But, whoa, the story-telling took forever. Once the circus started, I felt like the action slowed--much like the ticking of the dying clock, and I found myself looking longingly at the other audiobook in my car. But, no, I couldn't give up after listening to more than half the book.  All in all, I don't think I would have fought for this one to be on the Alex list--I'm purchasing a copy for my school, but I bet it won't be popular here.  We'll see if I'm right...

No comments: