Monday, May 7, 2012

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende, Performed by Blair Brown

Allende is an author I've heard a lot about, but I'd never read anything by her. I'm glad I did!

Eliza is an orphan raised by three siblings in Chile. Their life is fascinating--I loved the information given about how whites live in Chile in the early 1800s and how the locals are treated. Eventually Eliza falls in love with a man she shouldn't, and she leaves Chile for California to find him during the Gold Rush. Along the way, she has many adventures--stowing away in a ship, dressing like a man, learning medicine, and befriending a Chinese herbalist.

I love good historical fiction, and this one had me hooked. I wanted to keep driving so I didn't have to stop listening! Blair Brown was a great narrator, too. Her voice was very pleasing and didn't distract from the story at all.

No comments: