Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Round House by Louise Erdrich

2012 National Book Award Winner!

2013 Alex Award Winner!

I'm too busy to look up statistics, but I bet it's rare for a National Book Award winner to also receive an Alex Award, which is given for adult books that are good for teens. This is one that I'm not sure about--it's good for a few teens, but they have to be darn good readers.

It's 1988 and Joe's life is traumatically changed when his mother is beaten and abused. She isn't a talker, and life on the reservation is dramatically changed. Where did the attack happen? Was it a white man? an Indian man? Joe's father is a judge on the Indian reservation and why can't he help? Joe struggles with the slow wheels of justice, even more so when his mother's accused attacker is let go. The pace is slow and the mystery slowly unfolds, but the beautifully written story is a good one. The last few chapters are real kickers, and, even though I wasn't thrilled with the ending, I felt like the conflict resolved. Ironically, I am listening to a similar tale of unresolved justice in the car right now--The Girl Who Stopped Swimming. I understand why this one has literary merit, but, boy, I can't wait to read a YA book now....

No comments: