Monday, March 4, 2013

To Whisper Her Name by Tamera Alexander

Sometimes I need to read books like this one--sweet, slow historical fiction. I grew up reading Christian historical fiction in my church library (think Janette Oke). I don't read much Christian fiction anymore, but I'm not sure why. It's not all preachy and in-your-face. This book is an example of great historical fiction that just happens to be published by a Christian publisher.

Olivia is shunned by all of Nashville when her husband is found to be a traitor to the Confederacy. She is lucky to move to Belle Meade Plantation, where an old friend of her mother's takes pity on her. Olivia isn't sure what her plan in life is--she wants to teach, but can't even go to church without being shunned. Her benefactor believes a marriage to a respectable gentleman from out of town would solve all her problems, but Olivia is finished allowing others to make the important decisions in her life.

Yes, there is romance between Olivia and a hunky horse foreman. And lots of feminist girl power, too. And pretty dresses. Don't hate me for loving this book.

No comments: