Friday, May 3, 2013

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. Performed by Christina Moore.

I'm not sure how this book got on my to-reads list, but it did somehow. It was a National Book Award finalist back in 1989 and I understand why.

However, I only listened to about half of the audiobook.  I love the unique characters--those parents were freaky when they purposely tried to have unique babies. And I mean babies with fins or babies with extra body parts. They are all part of a traveling freak show and don't think of themselves as strange--everyone around them isn't "normal."  As much as I enjoyed the oddballness of the book, I wasn't vested enough in the characters to keep listening. I really wanted to smack the narrator, Olympia, an albino dwarf, for how she victimized herself with her brother Artie. I really didn't want to see how that relationship ended up because her devotion was kinda creepy.

No comments: