Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

NetGalley ARC. In store date 9/10/13.

So, I was on the Printz Committee that gave Wein's book Code Name Verity a Printz Honor, so I was pretty hyped about receiving this title via NetGalley!

And I wasn't disappointed. Like CNV, I kept wanting to look stuff up as I was reading, which I couldn't do because I'm in a cruise ship this week and didn't pay for wifi. Wein is so darn good about throwing interesting facts in that I feel like she'd make a great history teacher!

Rose Justice is an American pilot serving in England. She delivers planes and is friends with Maddie, one of the main characters in CNV. Rose's story is just as shocking as Maddie's, except worse. This is a story of friendship and survival, too, but this book involves German concentration camps. For women.  Did you know there were such things? And that American and English and French and all sorts of women were used as slaves during World War II?  And don't forget about the young girls used as medical experiments. Ugh. Honestly, I had to turn my kindle off at times and think about this book.  I was a history minor and didn't learn about these hidden histories of war. Female histories.

Read this book. I can't wait to look at the final copy and see how it looks--the advance readers copy was gobbledygook at times.

No comments: