Sunday, July 21, 2013

Running Like a Girl: Notes on Learning to Run by Alexandra Heminsley

I was excited when I noticed this Advance Reader's Copy on Edelweiss--just the inspiration I need when I'm starting the Couch to 5K program (again). Last year, I never made it past Week 4, so I need all the inspiration I can get.  I admire runners--especially when I visit big cities.  All that lycra and bouncing ponytails and iPods in use.  But I feel like a lumbering idiot when I attempt it and then I give up too easily when it hurts.  So I thought I'd tackle this adult memoir.

Alexandra was always the curvy class clown--she didn't exercise much, but didn't like how she looked in pictures.  She started walking for hours around London, and attempted a run around the block, but was disappointed by the pain, red face, and overall soreness.  However, she had familial support. Her dad ran marathons, as did her brother.  They kept telling her that she was perfectly capable.  And so she tackled a 5K jog.  This is the part I didn't like--really? a 5K practice run right off the bat? No building up to it?  And so begins her journey to run the London Marathon.  I loved all the details of her preparation--planning the runs, the playlists, buying the right clothes, and just running in general.  Who knew about Vaseline? I'm going to start lubing up my feet before my runs, too. No blisters and soft feet? I'm in! Her struggle with finding the right sports bra was rather funny, as well as her fear of unexpected potty breaks along the longer runs. She even covers what happens in her mid-marathons slump. It was nice to hear that even marathon runners stop practicing now and then.  She didn't understand the purpose, but found her away again.

No comments: